corpus-paul - RE: Flesh and Spirit

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Bob MacDonald <bobmacdonald AT shaw.ca>
  • To: 'Corpus-paul' <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Flesh and Spirit
  • Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 00:01:39 -0700

Dr Elliott

You asked what I meant by "the creative force of our language". My thought
was just that the reduction of flesh to your suggested terms seemed too
narrow for the range of usage of Paul's words. I also think, as I said, that
Paul was searching for a metaphor to express his gospel- Perhaps it is not a
creative aspect of language - but I think of it that way - as more than
descriptive - since language creates us as we absorb its meanings. Perhaps
the creative force has already happened when the metaphor is coined to
describe it. A bit of a catch-22 I expect.

I also do not think the body-soul commonplace is an adequate parallel to
flesh-spirit. The soul is thought of as disembodied - exactly the opposite
of the incarnate spirit. I am speaking of the common tradition, which I
believe is inherited from Greek thought - but I may be guilty of
oversimplifying.

Again, many thanks

Bob

mailto::BobMacDonald AT shaw.ca
+ + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +

Catch the foxes for us,
http://bobmacdonald.gx.ca

  • RE: Flesh and Spirit, Bob MacDonald, 05/01/2002