corpus-paul - Re: Phil. 1:12-18 - opponents?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Edgar Krentz <ekrentz AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Phil. 1:12-18 - opponents?
  • Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 08:58:33 -0700

At 3:51 PM -0400 4/18/02, Vince Endris wrote:
Dear Corpus list,

I am currently doing an exegesis paper on Phil. 1:12-18. I am primarily interested in these "opponents" of Paul. I have done much reading on this problem and am surprised at the lack of literature on it, and at the most widely accepted answers. It seems like there are a lot of writers who believe these to be Jewish Christians. However, to me this just can not be the case. Paul rejoices in that these opponents are preaching Christ. This is opposed to how he talks about Jewish Christians (even with in the same letter, i.e. 3:2). The only way I can see Paul advocating Jewish Christians is if there was some way that they were only preaching christ and were not at the same time preaching circumcision. Is this a possibility? The conclusion that I am leaning toward more and more is that these are Christians that preach Christ, but have some hostility toward Paul himself. Cullmann points out a correlation between these "opponents" and similar opponents at Rome during the time of Clement who were against the apostles. What I am looking for and can not find is, are there other instances of early Christians who for some reason or another did not like the either the origianl apostles, Paul, or both?

Thank you very much,

Vince Endris

Try 3 John. The "Elder" certainly does not like Diotrephes. Find Kaesemann's article on this for one possible historical reconstruction of the situation.

Ed Krentz

Edgar Krentz
Christ Seminary--Seminex Professor of New Testament, Emeritus
Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
1100 East 55th Street, Chicago, IL 60615
Tel: 773-256-0773; home phone 773-947-8105
Phone while in California: 510-540-6838
home e-mail: ekrentz AT earthlink.net
GERASKO D' AEI POLLA DIDASKOMENOS
"I grow old, constantly learning many things." [Solon of Athens]