corpus-paul - 1 Timothy 5:18

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Michael Abernathy" <mabernat AT cub.kcnet.org>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: 1 Timothy 5:18
  • Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 10:43:34 -0700

Dear list members,
I am doing some research on the dominic sayings in the Pauline corpus as
they relate to the development of the New Testament canon. In connection
with this I would like to ask the opinion of the members their opinions on 1
Timothy 5:18. 1 Timothy 5:18 quotes a saying found in Luke 10:7 referring
to it as "scripture."
1. In your opinion is the author of 1 Timothy referring to Luke, to another
written source, or to an oral tradition?
If you believe he refers to an oral tradition, does the elevation of oral
tradtion to the status of "scripture" have anything to do with Christology
(Christ is God. Therefore, whatever he said, is the word of God.)?

2. What are the earliest and latest dates you would accept for the book of 1
Timothy?

3. If you accept that Paul's source was independent of Luke, did Luke quote
Paul?

Thank you for your help.
Sincerely,
Michael Abernathy