corpus-paul - Paul's divine Christology?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Chris Tilling" <christilling AT ukonline.co.uk>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Paul's divine Christology?
  • Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 03:29:09 -0500

Hello all,
I posted this during easter but nobody replied. I'm hoping that the lack
of response was due to the fact that most were away over easter. So, I'm
trying again...

In my research I have come across a book recently
produced by a certain M Fatehi. In the book, "The
Spirit's Relation to the Risen Lord in Paul" he
argues that the pattern of the Spirit's relation
to God in the OT, intertestamental and rabbinic
literature provides the best analogy for the
relation of Jesus to the Spirit in the Pauline-
corpus. Through exegesis of key passages he
argues that the Spirit mediates the lordship of
Jesus over the new Christian community in a way
that suggests, in the light of the relation of
God to the Spirit, the divinity of Jesus
("divinity" understood as the <i>inclusion<\i> of
Jesus in the Father's unique deity).

Has anyone read the book and have any comments
(or any comments even if you have not read it!)? I
don't have it to hand at the moment so cannot
provide a better summary. But I'll retrieve it if
I need to expand my description for the sake of
discussion...

It seems that many more scholars are now
suggesting that divine Christology should be
pushed further and further back in the history of
the early church - and certainly into the Pauline
literature (cf. Hengel, Hurtado, Bauckham,
Fatehi, Capes, Turner, O'Neill, Horbury etc
etc.). What position do the members of this
discussion group hold and why?

Thanks for your response

All the best,
Chris Tilling

  • Paul's divine Christology?, Chris Tilling, 04/06/2002