corpus-paul - Re: The Mystery of Romans: the theme of- -- - restoration of Israel

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "moon-ryul jung" <moon AT sogang.ac.kr>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: The Mystery of Romans: the theme of- -- - restoration of Israel
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 04:46:57 -0500

[Moon]>
> >[clip]... what Paul says amounts to the shift of the
> > ground. While faithfulness to the commandments of God was essential,
> > still faith in Christ, which was the commond ground, was critical
> > for being the remnant. It was the fulfillment, yes. But it was the
> > shifting of the ground as well, so that Gentiles may come into the
> > covenant with God. IF GENTILES WERE NOT REQUIRED
> > TO PRACTICE THE WORKS OF THE LAW, the rules of the game
> > have been changed to accomodate the Gentile believers.
> > What do you think?

[MARK]
> I do not wish to speak for Boyarin or anyone else. Lets just try to
> understand the first century issue for a moment. The approach discussed in
> the clipped section (sans comment on Boyarin) brings to the front that the
> "historical" issue was discussed among Jews of Paul's day may be represented
> as one revolving around a difference of opinion about what time it was: the
> present age, or the age to come (time of the Messiah and restoration of
> Israel, not to mention of all of creation, or not). Paul and the other Jews
> of the coalition of believers in Jesus argue that it is the dawning of the
> age to come in the midst of the present age, and they are then a part of
> bringing about the complete change of aeons, which role includes the
> bringing in of the nations too, as well as the rest of Israel, who will be
> provoked by this action to reconsider and join with them. They argue that
> the response of the Gentiles testifies that this is what is taking place; in
> other words, that it too is a fulfillment of prophecy.
>
> If so, then, from their perspective this is not a shifting of the ground,
> but a realization that God is fulfilling the promises to Israel of bringing
> in the nations.

Mark, I am convinced by the above argument of yours. The gospel concerning
Jesus Christ was the fulfillment of prophecy; It meant the restoration of
Israel first of all, and it also meant the "restoration" of Gentiles. Now
to be the remnant, Jews should have believed in Jesus AND observed the
the works of the Law. To be included into the people of God, Gentiles
should have believed in Jesus AND maintained Law-respecting behaviors.
The common ground for being righteoused before God was faith in Christ.
This common ground was the fulfillment of prophecy. The common ground was
not the replacement of the old one, but the fulfillment and expansion
of the old one. This perspective seems to be more coherent and better
explains the data.

But in what sense was practicing the works of the Law including
the circumcision and the food regulations essential for Jews?

Hebrew 8:6-13 says that the first covenant was "faulty" and
became obsolete in some sense. How do you take this passage?

If that first covenant had been faultless, no one would have l
ooked for a second one. But showing its fault, God says to them,

“Look, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will complete
a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah.

“It will not be like the covenant that I made with their fathers,
on the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of Egypt,
because they did not continue in my covenant and I had no regard
for them, says the Lord.

When he speaks of a new covenant, he makes the first obsolete.
Now what is growing obsolete and aging is about to disappear.

I think I am reading Paul, with the above passage in mind.

Moon
Moon R. Jung
Associate Professor
Sogang Univ, Seoul, Korea

  • Re: The Mystery of Romans: the theme of- -- - restoration of Israel, moon-ryul jung, 01/06/2002