corpus-paul - Re: The Sergii Paulli

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: asia trek <asiatrek AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The Sergii Paulli
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 21:26:36 -0800 (PST)

Hi there
I wanted to remind readers of this contribution
by Paul Barnett on this very topic

http://www.anglicanmediasydney.asn.au/pwb/antioch.htm

Here is the most relevant point

'Can you help me with my question, Mehmet,' I ask the
scholar. 'Why did St Paul come here, to
Antioch-in-Pisidia '?

He replies immediately. 'When you understand
Antiocheia you will understand why he came.'

Of course to save space you will need to read
the entire article to understand it more
appreciatively
; )

Mehmet happens to be:
By great privilege we were the guests for the day of
the distinguished archaeologist Dr Mehmet Tashlialan,
Director of the Museum at YalvaƧ and Supervisor of the
'dig' at ancient Antiocheia since 1979.

--- Richard Fellows <rfellows AT intergate.ca> wrote:
> Dale wrote:
> > Did he move from
> > city to city with recommendations of whom he
> should contact?
>
> I expect you know of Ramsay's theory that Sergius
> Paulus had relatives in
> Psidian Antioch, and sent Paul there with letters of
> recommendation. This
> hypothesis has been followed more recently by
> Stephen Mitchell (Anatolia:
> Land, Men, and Gods in Asia Minor, vol.2, p6-7). Did
> Sergius Paulus send
> Paul to Psidian Antioch to visit the family doctor?
> (see Gal 4.13). Did
> Paul have problems with his vision at that time?
> (see Gal 4.14). Did Paul
> give temporary blindness to Elymas because Elymas
> was scornful of Paul
> because of his vision problems, i.e. as a pubishment
> to fit the crime? Was
> Paul attempting to cure himself by giving his own
> blindness to Elymas?
>
> Richard Fellows
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to corpus-paul as:
> asiatrek AT yahoo.com
$subst('Email.Unsub')