corpus-paul - Re: The Greco-Roman Diatribe

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark D. Nanos" <nanosmd AT home.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The Greco-Roman Diatribe
  • Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 19:13:07 -0600

on 12/5/01 8:34 AM, Runar M. Thorsteinsson at Runar.Thorsteinsson AT teol.lu.se
wrote:

> Does anyone know of some (recent) work on the Greco-Roman diatribe, either
> by classical or biblical scholars (besides Stowers and Schmeller)? Focusing
> on Paul's use of (some form of) the diatribe in Romans, I am particularly
> interested in the question of the audience's potential identification with
> the fictitious interlocutor(s) of the diatribe.

Robert Brawley has an article in Genholm and Patte's (eds.) Reading Israel
in Romans, Trinity Press Int., 2000, which I think you will find useful, and
with further bibliography. A different (not diatribe) but perhaps also
useful work will be Cosgrove's Elusive Israel, Westminster/JKP. Robert
Gagnon has a dissertation on diatribe in Romans, and is working on a book or
two, but I do not think these are yet available. It seems to me I read an
article by him a couple of years ago on the topic. You might contact him for
more on the topic (gagnon+ AT pitt.edu).

Regards,
Mark
--
Mark D. Nanos, Ph.D.
313 NE Landings Dr.

  • The Greco-Roman Diatribe, Runar M. Thorsteinsson, 12/05/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: The Greco-Roman Diatribe, Mark D. Nanos, 12/05/2001