corpus-paul - Re: N. T. Wright , "Paul's Gospel and Caesar's Empire"

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Bob MacDonald (Shaw)" <bobmacdonald AT shaw.ca>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: N. T. Wright , "Paul's Gospel and Caesar's Empire"
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 07:43:33 -0800

Wright writes

>>Nor was he offering people a new way of being what we would call
"religious". Despite the way Protestantism has used the phrase (making it
denote, as it never does in Paul, the doctrine of justification by faith),
for Paul "the gospel" is the announcement that the crucified and risen Jesus
of Nazareth is Israel's Messiah and the world's Lord. It is, in other words,
the thoroughly Jewish, and indeed Isaianic, message which challenges the
royal and imperial messages in Paul's world.<<

This phrase was a core concern for a Jewish friend of mine. - Still smacking
of secessionism.

The rhetoric "Nor was he offering" invites the reader to ask "what was he
offering - must be something worth paying attention to". He was offering a
Lord and King over Caesar - a rejection of Royalty - a win over even the
Jews to have an earthly King.

Or it says - this is not a new religion - but what is religion then if not a
way of avoiding this Lordship!

Perhaps there is no way around the affront to everyone that the claim of
Messiah and Lord makes.

I repeat an earlier question though - is Paul secessionist? Is the
deutero-Pauline school secessionist?

Is secessionist even the right word?

Bob

mailto::BobMacDonald AT shaw.ca