corpus-paul - Re: Sanders still in vogue?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Karl P. Donfried" <kdonfrie AT email.smith.edu>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Sanders still in vogue?
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 20:23:25 -0400

Dear Daniel,

Thanks for these helpful references. I have the first on order from Mohr
Siebeck; I wasn't aware of the second.

Also to be noted is the sharp attack against the Sanders approach by
Jacob Neusner, "What is "A Judaism"? in his JUDAISM IN LATE ANTIQUITY,
Part 5, vol 1, Brill, 2001, pp. 3-21. Equally critical of the Sanders
synthesis is Wayne Meeks in a lecture that he just presented to the
5-College (=Smith, Mount Holyoke, Hampshire, Amherst and UMASS) Seminar
on Biblical Literature last month and soon to be published. In light of
Qumran, Sanders (my dear and good friend) is quickly being relegated to
the "old" perspective.

Karl

Daniel Streett wrote:

> Karl and list,
>
> In this vein, a collection edited by D. A. Carson is slated to come out in
> Nov (from Baker) under
> the title, _Variegated Nomism_. It looks to be a serious shot across the
> bow of USS Sanders&co.
> Here's the link:
> http://www.bakerbooks.com/ROFM.acgi?_action=GET&_header=get&_database=CatalogFileweb&_field=combineallweb&AmazonISBN=080102272X
>
> Also not to be ignored is the recent (2000) _The Survivors of Israel : A
> Reconsideration of the
> Theology of Pre-Christian Judaism_ by Mark Adam Elliott, which "challenges
> the conventional view
> by scholars like E. P. Sanders that Late Second Temple Judaism was
> theologically nationalistic,
> offering it its place a theory that the intertestamental writings did not
> anticipate the salvation
> of ALL Jews but only of a FAITHFUL REMNANT within Israel" (taken from
> Amazon.com).
>
> Daniel R. Streett
> Yale Divinity School
>
> --- "Karl P. Donfried" <kdonfrie AT email.smith.edu> wrote:
> > Jeff,
> > You might want to take a look at Charles H. Talbert, "Paul, Judaism and
> > the Revisionist," in the current issue of CBQ. It is becoming obvious
> > from many quarters now that Sanders doesn't have the evidence to back up
> > his claims!
> > Cheers,
> > Karl

Karl P. Donfried