corpus-paul - Re: Gal 2:17

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Karl P. Donfried" <kdonfrie AT email.smith.edu>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gal 2:17
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 18:20:03 -0400

Jeff,

You might want to take a look at Charles H. Talbert, "Paul, Judaism and
the Revisionist," in the current issue of CBQ. It is becoming obvious
from many quarters now that Sanders doesn't have the evidence to back up
his claims!

Cheers,
Karl

"Jeffrey B. Gibson" wrote:

> John Lupia wrote:

> > thought
> > >

> > St. Paul is demonstrating that every human person regardless of their
> > religious affiliation is a sinner under the law. Jewish practice sought
> > justification through following Judaic teachings of doing good works and
> > keeping separate from non-Jews or the uncircumcised Gentiles.
>
> Shades of what E.P. Sanders and others demonstrated was the "lutheran
> stereotype" of
> first century Judaism! I wonder if you have evidence to back up this claim
> about
> Judaism and justification?
>
> Yours,
>
> JG
>
> --
> Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
> 1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
> Floor 1
> Chicago, Illinois 60626
> e-mail jgibson000 AT home.com
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to corpus-paul as: kdonfrie AT smith.edu

Karl P. Donfried
Elizabeth A. Woodson Professor
of Religion and Biblical Literature
Neilson Library A10