corpus-paul - Re: corpus-paul digest: October 09, 2001

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Eric Potts <eric AT revpotts.freeserve.co.uk>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: corpus-paul digest: October 09, 2001
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 16:27:53 +0100

Dale Walker wrote:

Earlier in 1 Cor Paul wants Christians to handle their own disputes
and not air their dirty laundry before non-Christian judges. This
advice is commonplace wisdom among ethnic groups. We'll handle
things on our own in our own way. This does set up a boundary.

Donald Harman Acheson, in "Saint Saul," makes this point also, but sees it as a kind of atavistic yearning for the Pharisaic way that occasionally emerges in Paul, despite his attitude to the Law in other places. Some accommodations to the pagan world are just too much for him to encompass. Acheson sees this also in Paul's attitude to sharing meals which incorporate meat used in pagan worship, and to women speaking in church or appearing in public with long hair showing. Sometimes Paul goes gently, using the "remember those who are weaker" argument; but this is a way of forbidding certain actions in a way that he hopes is inoffensive to his more liberal readers. In Corinthians in particular Paul is worried by too many syncretistic tendencies appearing among his flock.

Eric Potts
Lowestoft, England.

Weekly notes on the Revised Common Lectionary at:
www.revpotts.freeserve.co.uk/lectionaryzone/lectionaryset