corpus-paul - Re: Paul a Pharisee / Rabbinic Traditions

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: MillerJimE AT aol.com
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Paul a Pharisee / Rabbinic Traditions
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 01:23:21 EDT

One could answer `no' to the first question and `yes' to the second. It
is the second question that is more relevant to our present discussion.
It seems to me that the rabbis had little motivation to produce false
reports about the controversies between the Hillelites and the Shammaites,
and that these controversies are on the whole correctly reported in Mishnah,
Tosefta, etc. >>

Motives are only one source of unreliability. Another source, especially
in oral traditions, is the inevitable packaging of the material. The
characters and arguments will be simplified and schematized. At some points
the fine points behind certain New Testament statements will be lost in this
process. Even contemporary written accounts are somewhat simplified, hence
the desirability of more than one source. When the material has been made an
oral tradition prior to be written there will be more simplification.
Jim Miller

  • Re: Paul a Pharisee / Rabbinic Traditions, MillerJimE, 09/26/2001