corpus-paul - Re: Paul a Pharisee

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Loren Rosson <rossoiii AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul a Pharisee
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 03:24:02 -0700 (PDT)

Jim Miller wrote:

>Although it is fashionable in scholarship to
>question the historical accuracy of the gospels
>and Acts, has anyone considered the likelyhood
>that the Rabbinic traditions may not be completely
>accurate about the debate between bet Hillel and
>bet Shammai?

Actually, Jim, it's just as fashionable in scholarship
to question the accuracy of the rabbinic traditions.
Such issues are discussed and debated all the time.
Hyam has been an aggressive exception on this point,
which is one reason (among many) why his "Mythmaker"
and "Paul and Hellenism" have been heavily criticized.
For my own part, I do not uncritically accept every
rabbinic text as reflecting pre-70 Pharisaic thought.
But naturally -- as with the Gospels/Acts for
understanding early Christianity -- they offer a good
starting point.

Loren Rosson III
Nashua NH
rossoiii AT yahoo.com