corpus-paul - Re: The purpose of the law in salvation-history

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: RSBrenchley AT aol.com
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: The purpose of the law in salvation-history
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 04:14:17 EDT

Mark Nanos writes:

> Without wishing to engage at this moment the details of either Sander's or
> your proposal, I am struck by the order that emerges in these three points.
> It is but one of the many problems I have with the way the modern (and
> traditional!) discussion of Paul and the Law is constructed, not least its
> supposed centrality.
>
> For example, the ordering (1, 2, 3) of these propositions makes it seem
that
> the first consideration of God was to give the law in order to consign
> humankind to sin, in order that humans would need be saved/rescued from
this
> plight, on the basis of faith. Perhaps I am mistaken about what the order
of
> the points is meant to set out, but when I try to conceptualize why (Paul
or
> anyone would imagine) God going about things in this way I am unable to
make
> sense of the proposition. Now to my point.

This is too reminiscent of the old Calvinist salvation-scheme for me. It
all looked very much like something which was, doubtless unconsciously,
determined by a systematic theology which is imposed on the text. Perhaps
this is a problem in reading Paul; he's been used so much in subsequent
salvation-schemes that the echoes of them still crop up.

Regards,

Robert Brenchley,
Birmingham, UK.

RSBrenchley AT aol.com