corpus-paul - Subjective vs. objective genitive in Paul

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jeff Krantz <jkrantz AT optonline.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Subjective vs. objective genitive in Paul
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 18:45:39 -0400

Hello listmates!

I've recently been looking again at the tendency of translators to tranlate PISTEWS IHSOU XRISTOU (pardon my transliteration) in the objective sense, feeling that (I'm sure this has been said before) their translations are governed by their theology rather than the other way around.

I'm told that C. F. D. Moule has written rather convincingly that the subjective genitive would be more appropriate, but can't find the source.  Can anyone point me to his, or other similar work?

It seems that there is a slow-but-growing tendency to abandon the triumphalistic "faith in Jesus" for the "faith of Jesus" in Pauline circles.  Am I seeing what I want to see, or do some of you feel the same way?

Thanks so much in advance for your guidance/suggestions.

Yours,

Jeff Krantz
Mercer School of Theology