corpus-paul - Re: Sanders and the "New" Perspective (Galatians 2:14-21 and 4QMMT)

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Roy E. Ciampa" <roy_ciampa AT compuserve.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Sanders and the "New" Perspective (Galatians 2:14-21 and 4QMMT)
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 09:11:32 +0100

My views on the meaning of "works of the Law" in 4QMMT and Galatians 2 can
be found in Roy E. Ciampa, The Presence and Function of Scripture in
Galatians 1 and 2. WUNT2/102. 1998. ISBN 3-16-146895-3.

I do not think 4QMMT supports the idea that the issue is human effort, but
rather, that it has to do with accepting a particular form of halakha - the
true members of the Mosaic covenant are those who live within the parameters
of the covenant as they have been discerned by the community's leadership.
In 4QMMT the "works of the Law" are the halakhot that have been determined
by the community leadership. One is not justified by sufficient human
effort, but by accepting those halakhot and thereby identifying oneself as a
true member of the Mosaic covenant.

It is not a question of being good enough, or of working hard enough, but of
clearly defining oneself as "Jewish" in the sense that one is a member of
the Mosaic covenant.

Unfortunately, I am in the middle of an international move (leaving Lisbon
for Massachusetts) so I probably won't be able to continue much dialogue
right now, but I did want to through in my two cents and mention one more
piece of bibliography touching on "works of the Law" in 4QMMT and Galatians.

All the best,

Roy Ciampa

Dr. Roy E. Ciampa
IBP-ESETE
Rua Castelo Picão, 13
2670 Sto. Antão do Tojal
Portugal

Tel:

+351 (21) 982 1319 (home/casa)
+351 (21) 974 9047 (office/gabinete)
+351 (91) 974 0151 (cell/TM)

E-mail:

RoyCiampa AT mail.telepac.pt
Roy_Ciampa AT compuserve.com

  • Re: Sanders and the "New" Perspective (Galatians 2:14-21 and 4QMMT), Roy E. Ciampa, 07/27/2001