corpus-paul - Canon Stuff

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: MillerJimE AT aol.com
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Canon Stuff
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 00:34:28 EDT

Robert B writes:
<< But then Jude quotes 1 Enoch, and, if I remember correctly, the Testament
of Moses. I'm very well aware that the NT frequently quotes the LXX, but it
does not do so exclusively. I wonder if it isn't anachronistic to apply the
idea of a canon of scripture to the NT period.>>

Michael A replies: << Many people believe that the New Testament either
quotes or alludes to a great many extrabiblical works as well as those
considered Apocryphal by Protestants. . . . Establishing that the New
Testament authors quoted a work does not make it part of the Canon. I am
sure that you are aware that Josephus implies a closed Canon of twenty two
books. >>

Michael is correct to warn against assuming that anything quoted as authority
in the NT was "canon". Athanasius, the first patristic author to list the
New Testament canon as we know it, definitely held to a closed canon. But he
cited as authority works he explicitly placed outside his canon, such as the
Shepherd of Hermas and the Wisdom of Solomon. Also, the existence of a canon
does not mean it is a closed canon. The gospels do have Jesus reference
"Moses and the Prophets", which implies two collections of writings which
seem to be canonical. But a third collection, the "Psalms" is mentioned once
and may have been open still at that time.
I can't prove it, of course, but I highly suspect that Paul held to a
canon of Scripture, like the gospel writers and like Josephus. If he did, we
lack sufficient evidence that it was a close canon.
Jim Miller

  • Canon Stuff, MillerJimE, 07/22/2001