corpus-paul - Earthly Jesus

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Tim Peck" <tim AT lbfchurch.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Earthly Jesus
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 10:22:55 -0700

I think the claim for a Pauline "cosmological Christ" is often overplayed
and based largely on a misinterpretation of 2 Cor 5:16. In fact, I think we
find many allusions to the life and teachings of Jesus in the writings of
Paul. For example, the allusions to the so called sermon on the Mount in
Romans 12-14 are numerous. I also suspect Paul's appeal to certain
teachings "not I, but the Lord" in 1 Cor 7:10 appeals to the teachings of
Jesus on marriage. Moreover, Richard Hays' two important monographs "Echoes
of Scripture in the Letters of Paul" and "The Faith of Jesus Christ: An
Investigation of the Narrative Substructure of Galatians 3:1-4:11"
demonstrate that Paul's letters do in fact appeal to the earthly life of
Jesus. N. T. Wright's work on Paul's letters has come to a similar
conclusion ("The Climax of the Covenant"). Although these works are not
without controversy, I'd hope they'd help us move beyond Bultmann's old
dichotomy between Jesus "according to the flesh" and Jesus "no longer
according to the flesh."
Tim Peck

  • Earthly Jesus, Tim Peck, 07/21/2001