corpus-paul - Re: Paul's use of technical rhetorical devices

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Loren Rosson <rossoiii AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul's use of technical rhetorical devices
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2001 04:17:08 -0700 (PDT)

Dave Hindley asked of Mark Nanos:

> Have you read Philip H. Kern's _Rhetoric and
> Galatians: Assessing an
> approach to Paul's epistle_?
> Kern was recently a
> guest of Rhetoric-l back in October, 2000,
> for a "re/interview" where
> the book is reviewed and the author
> interviewed (read "grilled in a
> friendly, collegial manner"). I did not see
> any posts from you in that re/interview.

Mark, indeed, jumped into the fray during that
stimulating interview; he submitted a couple of
postings in response to Fred Long regarding the manner
in which rhetorical models (forensic, deliberative,
epideictic) are often pre-critically imported into our
interpretations. Because Mark's second posting -- a
very long and informative one -- pertained directly to
Pauline matters (in Galatians), I paste the link
below.

The link, however, will be inaccessible if you don't
subscribe to rhetoric-l.

Loren Rosson III
Nashua NH
rossoiii AT yahoo.com