corpus-paul - Re: corpus-paul digest: June 28, 2001

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jim Hester <hester AT jasper.uor.edu>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: corpus-paul digest: June 28, 2001
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 23:29:36 -0700

Tim Peck wrote:

> Even though Paul eschews rhetoric in 1 Cor 1-3, I think the letter itself
> betrays several rhetorical devices.

Tim, before you post an observation such as the one above, it might be
useful to make at least a superficial effort to see if anyone may have
published something addressing your interest. The analyses of rhetorical
devices in the Corinthian correspondence are legion. Without even pondering
it for a minute I can think of Wuellner's argument for digressions in I
Corinthians; Elizabeth Schuessler Fiorenza's paper to an SNTS meeting later
published in NTS; Anders Eriksson's dissertation, Traditions as Rhetorical
Proof: Pauline Argumentation in I Corinthians; Ann Wire's, The Corinthian
Women Prophets: Reconstruction through Paul's Rhetoric.

You need to spend some time reading these and the dozens of other such
studies before you share your next "thoughts."
Jim Hester "Never be afraid to try something new.
736 Buckingham Drive Remember, amateurs built the ark.
Redlands, CA 92374 Professionals built the Titanic."
(909) 792-0533
hester AT uor.edu http://rhetjournal.uor.edu
http://www.ars-rhetorica.net

  • Re: corpus-paul digest: June 28, 2001, Jim Hester, 07/02/2001