corpus-paul - Re: corpus-paul digest: June 28, 2001

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Tim Peck" <tim AT lbfchurch.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: corpus-paul digest: June 28, 2001
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 09:41:55 -0700

Even though Paul eschews rhetoric in 1 Cor 1-3, I think the letter itself
betrays several rhetorical devices. The older explanation for the
relationship between 1 Cor and Acts 17 is that Paul was disappointed by the
lack of results in Athens and as a result of that, he changed strategies by
eschewing rhetoric (I think that was the view of William Ramsay). However,
it seems more likely that the eschewing of rhetoric is not absolute (given
the rhetorical devices within the letter itself) and situational to the
specific circumstances of Corinth.
These are my thoughts.
Tim Peck

  • Re: corpus-paul digest: June 28, 2001, Tim Peck, 06/30/2001