corpus-paul - Re: Acts 19:9b-10 (was corpus-paul digest: June 20, 2001)

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jim Hester <hester AT jasper.uor.edu>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Acts 19:9b-10 (was corpus-paul digest: June 20, 2001)
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 08:53:42 -0700

Okay, with fear and trembling I venture into a debate outside my area of
familiarity but I just couldn't resist!

Richard Fellows writes in response to an assertion by Jeffrey:

> On the contrary, Rom 15:23 is rather consistent with Acts 19:9b-10, for it
> tells us that Paul had run out of new places to evangelize.

commenting in support of Jonathon who had written:

> I think that Paul's "success" in Ephesus must surely be measured
> in his impact on the whole region of Asia Minor. Acts 19:9b-10
> says: "He took the disciples with him and had discussions daily in
> the lecture hall of Tyrannus. This went on for two years, so that all
> the Jews and Greeks who lived in the province of Asia heard the
> word of the Lord" (NIV).

In the first place we should be clear that "Asia" in the Acts reference is
not "the whole region of Asia Minor," but the political province of Asia,
encompassing the western third of Asia Monor. A minor point but important
nonetheless.

Secondly, surely Acts 19:10 is hyperbole, used in support of Luke's agenda,
in that it can hardly be argued that "all the Greeks and Jews who lived in
the province of Asia" went to Tyrannus's "lecture hall" to hear Paul. Nor is
it likely that within the scope of two years Paul's disciples were able to
carry the gospel to the entire province, a land mass of around 90,000 square
miles with hundreds of towns and villages in it. So one has to grant that at
the very least Luke is overstating the scope of Paul's activity.

The linkage of Romans 15:23 with Acts 19:9-10 is simply not convincing to
this interpreter. Furthermore, I can't find any commentator who supports the
notion that Paul had "run out of" places to evangelize but rather feels his
obligation to the region satisfied and is eager to preach elsewhere.

I guess I continue to be a bit wary of attempts to harmonize NT stories and
letters with the intent to produce an historical picture of the activities
of the earliest Christians.
Jim Hester "Never be afraid to try something new.
736 Buckingham Drive Remember, amateurs built the ark.
Redlands, CA 92374 Professionals built the Titanic."
(909) 792-0533
hester AT uor.edu http://rhetjournal.uor.edu
http://www.ars-rhetorica.net

  • Re: Acts 19:9b-10 (was corpus-paul digest: June 20, 2001), Jim Hester, 06/27/2001