corpus-paul - Re: corpus-paul digest: June 20, 2001

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT home.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: corpus-paul digest: June 20, 2001
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 09:41:09 -0500

boyd AT pcpartner.net wrote:

> Rick wrote:
> <I'm not interested in statistics because obviously it's impossible
> for them to be at all accurate. I am simply curious on what basis
> we can talk about 'success'. I have mentioned Ephesus [which is
> usually seen as being the epitome of such success] but I'm
> interested in general.>
>
> I think that Paul's "success" in Ephesus must surely be measured
> in his impact on the whole region of Asia Minor. Acts 19:9b-10
> says: "He took the disciples with him and had discussions daily in
> the lecture hall of Tyrannus. This went on for two years, so that all
> the Jews and Greeks who lived in the province of Asia heard the
> word of the Lord" (NIV).

The question I (and I think many others on this List) would have here is: How
trustworthy is this data? Luke has his own agenda regarding Paul's "success"
and
frequently it doesn't square up very well with what can be gleaned in this
regard from
Paul's letters. And seems highly unlikely that Paul was heard by **every**
inhabitant
of the province of Asia!

In any case, all this speaks of is who **heard** him. It says nothing about
how many of
those who heard accepted what he had to say.

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson
--
Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)