corpus-paul - Re: Kingdom of God in Paul

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: David Denton <drd AT uq.net.au>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Kingdom of God in Paul
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 11:56:09 +1000

Francisco,

This does not answer your question, but there are other places in the
Pauline corpus where "inherit the kingdom of God" also occurs & these may
be helpful in enabling you to make a decision. See 1 Cor 6:9,10; Eph 5:5
& 1 Cor 15:50. The last of these is patently future, but the others are
closer parallels for they refer to evil-doers who will not inherit the
kingdom. Obviously 1 Cor 6:9,10 is the most similar.

Have you seen the chapter on your subject in the Beare Festschrift, From
Jesus to Paul, pp. 143-156?

Hester has a different comment on p.86 of his Paul's Concept of Inheritance.

David

At 07:08 PM 4/06/01 +0200, you wrote:
>I'm actually working on the subject of Paul and the Kingdom of God. I'm
>aware this is a huge theme, although Paul does not say too much about it.
>
>I'm focusing now on Gal 5,21, and wondering wether we can be sure Paul is
>here pointing to a pure future kingdom or not. Most of the scholars use to
>think this way. But such an statement as "those who do such things will not
>inherit the Kingdom of God" may be understood differently. Greek future not
>always means temporal future. The "fleshly ones" can be hindered to
>experience something that the believers have already experienced or
>received; just like "the child of the slave will not share the inheritance
>with the child of the free woman" (Gal 4,30). For Paul "to inherit" is more
>the actual state of "being heirs" (=sons) and already "share the
>inheritance" with the father, than the expectation of a future state or a
>future land.
>

>---
>You are currently subscribed to corpus-paul as: drd AT uq.net.au
$subst('Email.Unsub')