corpus-paul - Re: The symbolism of '14 years'

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Frank W. Hughes" <fwhughes AT sunbeach.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The symbolism of '14 years'
  • Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 19:47:26 -0400

This has been a discussion that doesn't seem to go anywhere.  I am neither particularly convinced of the argument that 14 years had some sort of symbolic character, nor that Paul would care to assert that in the context of the narratio of Galatians.  Does anybody really think that Paul would assert as facts things that he knew to be fictitious?  If he did so, would there not have been people around who would have been quite happy to catch Paul in significant errors of fact as regards the times of his presence in Jerusalem, especially given his central contention that his apostleship was independent of the Jerusalem church?

A far more interesting "14" to me is the possible symbolism of 14 letters in the Pauline corpus.

Frank W. Hughes
Lecturer in NT Studies
Codrington College
Barbados
(in affiliation with the University of the West Indies, Cave Hill Campus)