corpus-paul - Paul's collection

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Sakari Häkkinen <sakari.hakkinen AT sci.fi>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Paul's collection
  • Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 21:04:10 +0200

Having recently done some research on Paul's collection, I would like to add
my comments to the interesting topic. At first I'd like to remind, that we do
not know that Paul ever delivered the collection to Jerusalem. He planned to
do that himself (Rom 15:25,28), perhaps with some kind of a commission, a
group gathered from contributing congregations as suggested by some list
members. If he managed to get to Jerusalem with quite a large amount of
money, isn't it odd that the collection is not mentioned in any of the
documents preserved? Luke does not mention it at all when he reports on
Paul's arrival to Jerusalem in Acts 21. Didn't he know of the collection?
That sounds improbable to me, because I am of the opinion that Luke knew and
used at least some of Paul's letters. So, it seems to be so, that for some
reason he did not want to highlight the collection (it might be referred to
in Acts 11:29-30, but in that case Luke has rearranged the material so that
the collection need not to be mentioned in Acts 21). It looks like the
collection was not accepted by the recipients, just what Paul was afraid of
(Rom 15:31).

Paul was unsure whether his collection would please the poor of the saints in
Jerusalem. So, he must have planned not only the way of transporting the
money but also the situation and the way he gives the gift to the leaders of
the Jerusalem community. He certainly had in mind either the money purses
filled with gold coins or some other kind of package he then would give. I am
convinced that the collection was not a temple tax as some scholars suggest.
However, the model of delivering the temple tax might be useful here. Were
there some rules concerning the money? Was Roman money accepted as well as
Judean?

If the collection was not accepted, what could be the reasons? Paul himself
was probably the main reason. The local "saints" did not want to take money
from him - you cannot buy friendship. But could it be also that there was
something wrong with the form of the gift? How about if Paul had not 31 gold
coins like someone suggested yesterday but 30 silver coins... ? (do not take
the last question too seriously, I am quite tired right now ;).

Best wishes,

Sakari Hakkinen, PhD
University of Helsinki
Department of Biblical Studies