corpus-paul - How did Paul take the collection to Jerusalem?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark Goodacre" <M.S.Goodacre AT bham.ac.uk>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: How did Paul take the collection to Jerusalem?
  • Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 11:33:33 -0000

When teaching about the collection for the saints in Jerusalem
yesterday, I began wondering how Paul actually carried the offering
to Jerusalem? Does anyone care to speculate? If I remember
correctly, Murphy O'Connor (_Paul: A Critical Life_), ever able to
use his imagination, suggested that he sowed the money into an
inner tunic. Were there no other means available in the ancient
world for transporting large amounts of money around the
Mediterranean, banks, cheques, IOUs?

Thanks for any help
Mark
Dr Mark Goodacre mailto:M.S.Goodacre AT bham.ac.uk
Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
Birmingham B15 2TT
United Kingdom

http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
Homepage