corpus-paul - Re: Romans 13

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT home.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Romans 13
  • Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 07:59:52 -0600

Ed Hunt wrote:

> A plea from a preacher, after a hectic week and a memorial service this
> morning.
> I'm reflecting upon the faith-based initiatives of the Bush administration
> and Romans 13:1-7.
> Can anyone direct me to some exegetical treatments of the Romans passage?
> Thanks,
> Ed

I would heartily recommend Neil Elliot's essay (with lots of bibliographic
material),
"Romans 13:1-7 in the Context of Imperial Propaganda" in _Paul and Empire_
ed. R.
Horsley (Trinity, 1997) and Robert Jewett's reflections upon it in the follow
up
volume, also edited by Horsley, _Paul and Politics_. Neil's _Liberating
Paul_ also
should be consulted.

Then you'll find an interesting argument that the "authorities" are synagogue
not Roman
authorities in our own Mark Nanos' _Mystery of Romans_.

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson
--
Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)