corpus-paul - Re: hUPO NOMON in Rom 6:14-15: Cranfield vs. James Dunn vs. X

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "moon-ryul jung" <moon AT saint.soongsil.ac.kr>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: hUPO NOMON in Rom 6:14-15: Cranfield vs. James Dunn vs. X
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 23:49:50 -0500

[Mark]
> Following "Let not.... Do not... but" of vv. 12-13:
> "For [GAR] sin will not become master of you [KURIEUSEI: fut. ind.];
> confirming [GAR]* you [gentiles] are not under law but under grace.
>
> *[Cf. BDAG 1.c: "GAR is sometimes repeated. It occurs twice... to have one
> clause confirm the other," including Rom. 6:14 in the examples of this
> case.]
>
> This verse simply restates in the course of his argument what Paul has
> declared earlier, such as in 3:21, to explain the inclusion of gentiles:
> "but now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from law,
> although the law and the prophets bear witness to it...." (NRSV). And they
> are thus equally responsible to the implications of this manifestation of
> the righteous God! (for there is no distinction, 3:22).
>
> The gentiles are to confirm who they are under God's grace by how they
> behave. That is the point of the argument here in ch. 6. Even though they
> are not law-people they have chosen the same master, which for these
> gentiles is another master than before, God instead of sin, and they must
> thus live another way, to God instead of to sin. The contrast is not between
> law and God, but sin and God (cf. 6:10-11), even for people not under law;
> naturally, the service of God instead of sin by way of law observance is
> obvious.

[Moon]

Mark, I like your interpretation because it maintains
that hUPO NOMON = Law-People, which is the simplest reading
of hUPO NOMON. The link betwen 6:14 and 3:21 is what I have never
thought of. But I have some problem with your translation:

Following "Let not.... Do not... but" of vv. 12-13:
> "For [GAR] sin will not become master of you [KURIEUSEI: fut. ind.];
> confirming [GAR]* you [gentiles] are not under law but under grace.

(1) It makes 6:14a support 6:14b. My grammar tells that
GAR of 6:14b should be taken to support 6:14a. Please tell me how you
get the above translation?

(2) What you want to say would be conveyed when you translate
6:14b as:

Confirming that, though you are not under Law, you are under Grace.

But OU GAR ESTE hUPO NOMON ALLA hUPO CARIN seems to make
hUPO NOMON and hUPO CARIN symmetric, and suggests that
not hUPO NOMON = hUPO NOMON. Then we could say "
sin will not be the master of you; confirming you are not under Law".

But I am not competent enough in Greek to say that 6:14b cannot
be understood as in (2) above. Could anyone help me?

(3) With question (1) in mind, I would like to translate 6:14 as follows:

6:14. For sin shall not be the master of you; It is because,
though you are not under Law (though you are not Law-people),
you are under Grace.

By "shall not" I interpret the future indicative KURIEUSEI to have
the force of commandment "let sin not be the master of you";
it is quite similar to what 6:12 says.

Any comments?

Moon
Moon-Ryul Jung