corpus-paul - Re: Paul's dying formula

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Anders Eriksson <anders.eriksson AT teol.lu.se>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Paul's dying formula
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 09:22:50 +0100

Jeffrey,

Your listing from the TLG is very impressive and one really gets an idea of
how Greeks and Romans might have understood Paul's dying formula. The
questions is whether this is how Paul would have understood it. The
formula is pre-Pauline and therefore not a result of Paul's creativity or
attempt to meet the exigence in the Greco-Roman world.

In the pre-Pauline context, probably already back in Jerusalem (1 Cor
15:3), the death of the Messiah was interpreted as a sacrificial death,
probably based on an understanding of Is 53:5.

Some of the classic studies on this are: Kramer, Christ, Lord, Son of God;
Wengst, Christologische Formeln; Hahn Christologische Hoheitstitel and
Jeremias Abendmahlsworte. I have more references in Traditions as rhet.
Proof, chap 3.

If you seek to "explore of the background of Paul's claim that "Christ
died for us/our sins" I do not think you can limit yourself to a search in
the TLG. The OT background and early Jewish Christian interpretations
should also be considered. The German form critics had a lot to say about
these things 30 years ago.

Sincerely,

Anders Eriksson

Dr Anders Eriksson,
Faculty of Theology
Lund University, Sweden

  • Re: Paul's dying formula, Anders Eriksson, 01/22/2001