corpus-paul - Re: Paul's gospel (was: " Pauline and Johannine theology")

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Sheila E. McGinn, Ph.D." <smcginn AT jcu.edu>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul's gospel (was: " Pauline and Johannine theology")
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 15:48:57 -0500

Ron Price wrote:

> My intention was to focus on theological assertions pioneered by Paul.
> There is abundant evidence that the title "Messiah" was adopted by Jesus
> and applied to him by Peter et al. before the crucifixion. The
> application of the title "Messiah" to Jesus was therefore not pioneered
> by Paul.

Really? I would love to see where you find this "abundant evidence,"
especially given
the standard criteria for historicity in "historical Jesus" research (in this
case,
especially the criterion of discontinuity). Sheila McGinn
begin:vcard
n:McGinn, Ph.D.;Sheila E.
tel;fax:216-397-4518
tel;work:216-397-3087
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.jcu.edu/bible/mcginn
org:John Carroll University;Religious Studies
adr:;;20700 N. Park Blvd.;University Heights;Ohio;44118;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:smcginn AT jcu.edu
title:Associate Professor, Biblical Studies & Early Christianity
fn:Sheila E. McGinn, Ph.D.
end:vcard