corpus-paul - Re: Paul as the beloved disciple

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark D. Nanos" <nanosmd AT home.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul as the beloved disciple
  • Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 07:10:12 -0600

Ron Price wrote (in part):
>> Such praise by the
>> author of John's gospel was natural from someone who had adapted Pauline
>> theology and taken it to new heights. There may be another link in the
>> probable association of both John's gospel and the collection of Paul's
>> letters with Ephesus.
>> So the BD was none other than Paul.

Dear Ron,
Would you please explain in what ways John's gospel shows the writer had
"adapted Pauline theology and taken it to new heights." This would involve
an explanation of "Pauline theology" that represents your understanding of
Paul's theology, the development of the Pauline theology trajectory that
John takes to new heights, and then of course the ways in which John
supposedly accomplished this major extension of 1) Paul's theology and 2)
the Pauline theology trajectory. Remaining would still be support for the
claim that the "BD was none other than Paul," but that seems to me to be yet
another matter requiring its own detailed discussion, and not what really
arouses my interest in your post. I have never considered John an example of
Paul's or Pauline theology, and wonder why it is that you do so strongly
enough to make such a claim (without argument on this point).

--
Mark D. Nanos, Ph.D.
313 NE Landings Dr.