corpus-paul - Re: Liddel & Scott (virus warning!!)

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Stephen C. Carlson" <scarlson AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Liddel & Scott (virus warning!!)
  • Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 00:16:33 -0500

At 05:24 PM 11/2/00 -0800, Daniel L. Christiansen wrote:
>Mike Myers wrote:
>> John Dickinson's post (subject: Liddel & Scott) was infected with a
>> virus that my Norton Anti-Virus detected. Fair warning to all
>> listmembers.
>
>Now, I am truly worried. How can an e-mail message with no attachment be a
>carrier?
>If I am missing something, here, I would like to know.

If your mailer understands HTML-coded e-mail messages and is configured
to execute scripts embedded in the HTML, then the act of opening the
message may cause the embedded script to execute without doing anything
about the attachment. If your mailer is sophisticated enough to
execute such scripts, it should be sophisticated enough to provide an
option disallowing this behavior.

Stephen Carlson
--
Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson AT mindspring.com