corpus-paul - Re: Titus and his Jewish congregants

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Deborah Greenhill" <ravdev AT mail.fm>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Titus and his Jewish congregants
  • Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 03:43:49 +1100

Blessings, Loren,
Your thesis about circumcision on the basis of need sounds very good, but
leaves out one particular point. Titus was not circumcised, yet he was a
leader of a mixed group of gentiles and Jews in Crete. My Bible commentary
says that Titus had much trouble during his ministry in Crete. Perhaps it
was because he was not circumcised? When Paul gives Titus the
qualifications of appointment of elders, he comments in verse 10 on the
"unruly and vain talkers and deceivers, especially they of the
circumcision." Could there be a reason why the Jews in the congregations,
also known as "the circumcision", be unruly? The Jews probably wanted a
circumcised leader, and felt compelled to revolt. This is a reasonable
conclusion; would you want your leader living on less standards than you
uphold? With first century Jewish ideas of separation between Jews and
gentiles, the Jews at Crete probably felt compelled to keep their distances
from an uncircumcised pastor. It is clear that Timothy was circumcised by
Paul to prevent such revolts while they were ministering together.

So why the inconsistency regarding the issue of circumcision? I am still
trying to figure that one out.

Thanks for listening,
Dr. Deborah J. Greenhill