corpus-paul - Re: Gal 4:8-10 (To Mark Nanos)

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark D. Nanos" <nanos AT gvi.net>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gal 4:8-10 (To Mark Nanos)
  • Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 22:37:51 -0500

> >[Moon earlier]
> >
> >Let me ask some clarifying questions:
> >Q1:
> >Do you mean that some of the Galatians considered complying with the
> >Jewish norm and some with the Roman norm, to avoid the social
> >pressure/persecution from the pagan society? If so
>
> [Mark earlier]
>
> No. Both norms were at work, and in agreement that the world was
> divided, as far as Jewish identity is concerned, into those who are
> not Jewish, and those who are Jewish. So according to both Jewish and
> pagan norms it would be expected of pagans to behave paganly in the
> pagan sphere of life, and Jewishly if and when guests in the Jewish
> sphere. But these addressees were claiming to no longer be pagans,
> yet not to have become Jews/proselytes. But there is no category for
> such identity claims on either Jewish or Greco-Roman terms,

hence
> pressure to comply/conform with the prevailing norms in one direction
> or the other, remaining pagan friends of the Jewish and pagan
> communities, or becoming members by way of proselyte conversion.

[Moon now]
If they did not have become full members of the Jewish community, they
would have been under the pressure to comply with both prevailing norms.

But my question is whether they got circumcised to be full members of
the Jewish community or they participated in pagan practices after being
"rejected" by the Jewish community. They would not have done both.
Your interpretation, therefore, seems to imply that some of them
complied with the criteria of Jewish identity, and those who
did not accept it complied with the criteria of Roman identity,
AFTER having considered both options.

[Mark now]
In my view the addressees (non-Jewish Greeks let's say) have not been rejected, but their claims to new identity based on their understanding of the good news of Christ have been challenged. The have been welcomed as guests, but told that as guests they remain Greeks, and do not have the identity they have been led to believe they have. Nevertheless, they can gain this identity by becoming proselytes. Paul writes to them in the midst of this status uncertainty to explain that they do not return to being merely Greeks and welcome Greek guests, but in Christ they are equal to those whom they are speaking with already without becoming proselytes. To choose either a return to Greek guest status or a turn to proselyte candidate status would undermine the work of Christ.

[Moon now]
Supposing that your reconstruction of the Galatian situation is correct,
i.e. they were under social pressure to comply with Jewish and Roman
norms, it leads me to think that for them becoming Jews by getting circumcised would
have been a far better choice. Can you explain why some of them considered
going back to pagan practices?

[Mark now]
Yes, becoming proselytes candidates does appear to them to be a very "good" choice, for this seems to represent for them indeed "another message of good"! That is what Paul contrasts, much to their surprise, the message of good in Christ in which they have believed, and explains "again" that it would be undermined by seeking to have both messages of good at work for themselves. Paul fears just how attractive this other message is, and how persuasive.

The addressees have considered the possibility that if they do not comply with the terms of this other message of good they will need to return to the lifestyle of Greek guests, and thus complying with participation of those public expressions of idolatry that they as Greeks are constrained to observe unless and until they become proselyte candidates, that is, according to the prevailing norms of both the Jewish and Greek communities apart from the Jewish subgroup of believers in Christ.

I hope this clarifies the issue. Please advise.

Regards,
Mark Nanos