corpus-paul - Re: EVIDENCE FOR PAUL?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark D. Nanos" <nanos AT gvi.net>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: EVIDENCE FOR PAUL?
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 11:35:15 -0500

David Sutherland wrote:
Outside the NT, does anyone know of any evidence, or references to, or for the actual existence of Paul?

Furthermore, apparently the Rabbis kept good records of all their students.

There is no mention of any Saul, who supposedly sat at the feat of prominent Rabbi's?

Dear David,
I do not know of any unambiguous evidence outside of literary and traditions. I do not believe rabbinic records are relevant to the question you pose, since the written evidence we have is generally dated to early third century c.e. and after, and would be but the expression of another tradition/legend, not a first-hand report.

Regards,
Mark Nanos