corpus-paul - RE: Galatian situation

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Loren Rosson <rossoiii AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Galatian situation
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 08:31:28 -0700 (PDT)

> Sakari wrote:
>
> I would question the idea that Paul wanted to
> subordinate
> his gospel...I would tend to see Paul here
> representing his
> own community in Antioch...One should
> also take into account that when writing Galatians,
> Paul was
> more independent than at the time when he had
visited
> Jerusalem with Barnabas from Antiochia. Obviously
> he had a need to highlight his independency from any
> community (see Gal. 2,2).

Mark Nanos responded:

> Sakari,
> I do not understand. Paul wrote the account in Gal.
> 2:2, and could
> choose any language he wished to ensure that the
> question of his
> independent equality or even superiority remained
> clear, but he
> writes of his subordination, that he "laid
> [ANETHEMHN] before
> them...lest somehow I should be running or had been
> running in vain"!...
> Why then subordination
> language here at
> 2:2, instead of challenging language at at 2:11?

To Mark's observations I would add the following in
brief: An accurate way to deal with the question of
Paul's "independency/dependency" would be to say that
he maintained his independence with regards to the
source/origins of his gospel (God, no one else), but
he acknowledged his dependence on apostolic authority
with regards to just how that gospel (Gentile mission)
was to be carried out. I think James Dunn once put the
matter in these terms.

Loren Rosson III,
Nashua NH
rossoiii AT yahoo.com