corpus-paul - Re:Opponents as Strawmen

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark D. Nanos" <nanos AT gvi.net>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re:Opponents as Strawmen
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 10:09:39 -0500

Dear Anders,
Thank you for the clarification. I think the difference is that you are warning of the problems that arise with mirror-reading, a methodology that I do not generally employ in tackling Galatians. I respect the problems to which you refer, and share your interest in attention to the nature of oppositional rhetoric.

Mirror-reading arises from the presupposition of "those taking a counterposition," i.e., "opponents." I do not suggest any opponents or counterposition (and continue to challenge even the casual use of the description "opponents" for just this reason: it prejudges the outcome). I think the influencers simply hold to and promote another position (another message of good), in fact, the traditional one, being appealed to in reaction to the surprising new claims of the addressees when they enter into social space other than within their subgroup, that is, social space where the traditional norms are not expected to be challenged in this way, by these non-members (on the traditional norms).

So while Paul can characterize this other message and its proponents as contrary, theirs is not formulated in this way. But Paul's must be to respond to theirs, which appeals to longstanding and widely agreed norms, moreover, which are based on Scripture/revelation, when disciples of his present this new case, regardless of the degree to which these disciples do or do not realize this view is contrary when first presenting their case.

Regards,
Mark Nanos