corpus-paul - Eusebius on Paul

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Karl Schmidtke <karlschmidtke_1999 AT yahoo.de>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Eusebius on Paul
  • Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 10:57:28 +0200 (CEST)

Many thanks to the list moderator for calming things
down (and not allowing my previous bad-tempered
message to be forwarded to the list). Also many thanks
to those who have pursued the question off-list (I
hope I shall have time to respond individually).
Professor Kilmon has offered a timely word: some
evidence!

It is clear that Eusebius is very insistent that Paul
actually died, and equally insistent that Paul and
Peter died under Nero and in Rome.

This very insistence is a mark of Eusebian polemic
against the heretical view that Paul was "elevated",
for which we have even earlier literary evidence (e.g.
1 Clement 5 as another lister has pointed out off
list). Paul (at least in part) thought of himself as
an Elijah figure (Rom 11), and this is the point of
the heretical view (also attested in Polycarp,
Philippians 9; Epiphanius and the Armenian Acts of
Paul among others) that Eusebius seems intent on
countering.

Do scholars on this list accept Eusebius' view that
Peter and Paul died under Nero in Rome?

If not, why accept his view that Paul died?

=====
Karl Heinz Schmidtke
Pfarrerhaus
Leibensburg