corpus-paul - RE: Jubilees

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David C. Hindley" <dhindley AT compuserve.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Jubilees
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 21:55:18 -0400

>>Struck by the many thematic similarities between Rom 8 and Jubilees chap 1,  I am looking for an online version of the Book of Jubilees in Greek. Can anyone advise?<<

As far as I know, it is not available in Greek except in a few fragments. The biggest is found in Epiphanius (not the Panarion), who preserves Chapter 2.2-21. The Greek is in R H Charles' edition of Ethiopic Jubilees. Other, shorter quotations are found in Justin, Origin, Diodorus of Antioch, Isodore of Alexandria, Isodore of Seville, Eutychius of Alexandria, John of Malala, Synchellus (who quotes it as if from Genesis) and Cedrenus. I do not have any specific references.

The only other fragments of any note are in Latin, and do not include Jubilees Chapter 1. The Ethiopic is the only complete ancient translation in existence, except for the fragments found at Qumran.

Perhaps an inquiry to the Orion list will produce results.

Regards,

Dave Hindley
Cleveland, Ohio, USA

  • Jubilees, John Dickson, 08/14/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Jubilees, Jeffrey B. Gibson, 08/14/2000
    • RE: Jubilees, David C. Hindley, 08/14/2000