corpus-paul - 2 Cor 6:14-7:1 interpolated? (was: ....... in its context)

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Ron Price" <ron.price AT virgin.net>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: 2 Cor 6:14-7:1 interpolated? (was: ....... in its context)
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 10:20:10 +0100

I wrote:

>I have found evidence of a different kind, as yet unpublished,which
>indicates clearly that the passage could not originally have been in the
>letter in which it is now embedded

Robert Brenchley replied:

>Tell me more; I would be grateful.

Robert,
There are distinct traces in the Corinthian correspondence of the
papyrus pages on which Paul wrote. For Paul seems to have composed this
material in sections each of which is close to a whole multiple of a
fixed unit (measured in Greek letters). This probably corresponds to the
writing side of a sheet of papyrus, i.e. what we would call a "page". In
2 Corinthians the page pattern is broken only by the passage 6:14-7:1,
which does not fit. It is therefore clear to me that the passage does
not belong to the letter in which it is now embedded.
A presentation of all the evidence behind this 'Page Hypothesis' is
way beyond the scope of an e-mail.

For a brief summary of the evidence that the passage was not written
by Paul, I recommend U.Schnelle, _The History and Theology of the New
Testament Writings_ (ET: London, SCM, 1998), pp.83-84.

Ron Price

Weston-on-Trent, Derby, UK

e-mail: ron.price AT virgin.net

  • 2 Cor 6:14-7:1 interpolated? (was: ....... in its context), Ron Price, 04/27/2000