corpus-paul - Re: Paul's "Thorn"

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jack Kilmon <jkilmon AT historian.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul's "Thorn"
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 08:47:25 -0500

1cE aN6eL wrote:

> In Sencond Corithians Chapter Twelve verse Seven, Paul State that due
> to his danger of becoming prideful in the revelations that were showen
> him, God called upon a "Thorn in his side" or as Paul put
> it, a messenger of satan (I do not use capital "S" for satan due to my
> disgust for him).
> Some have speculated that it was a women, a female that lured him into
> trouble.
>
> Can anyone shed light on this mysetry?

There was an Ebionite account, reported I believe by Epiphanius in
Panarion 30,
that Paul was not a Jew but a Greek and he originally came to Jerusalem
because
he was in love with, and wanted to marry, the priest's daughter. In
order to do
this, he became a proselyte and was circumcised only to be rejected by
the
lady. In his bitterness, he supposedly had a hissy and railed against
the Law,
circumcision, sabbath, etc.

Of course, we have to consider that Epiphanius hated Ebionites and
Ebionites
hated Paul for whatever historicity may lie at the core of this but, if
partly
true, would sure explain a lot of Pauline enigmas.

Jack

Jack Kilmon
jkilmon AT historian.net

http://www.historian.net