corpus-paul - Re: hard evidence for early opening to Gentiles

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Robert Brenchley" <RSBrenchley AT aol.com>
  • To: corpus-paul
  • Subject: Re: hard evidence for early opening to Gentiles
  • Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 14:10:30

Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:

>Gentile Christianorganised their calendar by the sun. the Sund-day in the
NT indicates a Gentile component.

How do we know? I'm not arguing the absence of a Gentile component, but
what do the NT references to 'the first day of the week' actually mean?

I remember Michael Goulder arguing that the believers went to the Synagogue
on the Sabbath, then met over a meal on the Saturday evening; as Jews
reckon the days from sunset to sunset this would be counted as being on
'the first day of the week'. However, see John 20:19; Sunday evening is
reckoned here as being part of the first day of the week. Can anyone clear
this one up?

Robert Brenchley

RSBrenchley AT aol.com