corpus-paul - Re : Re: hUPO NOMON in Gal 4:5

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Antonio Jerez <antonio.jerez AT privat.utfors.se>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re : Re: hUPO NOMON in Gal 4:5
  • Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 22:12:48 +0100

Dear Moon,

I agree 100 % with your reading on Paul's view about the Law in relation to
both Jew and Gentile. The convenantal nomism that most "normal" Jews
appear to have adhered to stated that trying to follow Torah and repentance
was enough for salvation for Jews. If Paul had really adhered to this there
would have been, in his view, no need whatsoever for Christ to die a
redemptive
for the Jews - Christ would only have died for the redemption of the Gentiles.
That is why Paul first has to do away with the old Law in order to build up a
new Law,
Christ's Law.

Best wishes

Antonio Jerez