corpus-paul - Re: Adam etc

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "John Dickson" <jdickson AT bigpond.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Adam etc
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 20:53:55 +1100

Debbie Gaunt wrote:

> When Paul discusses OT characters - I'm thinking of Adam, Abraham etc -
> should one assume that he believes that these were specific, identifiable
> individuals about whom the scriptures provide accurate historical
> information?

Of course, one should rarely 'assume' much at all about people from the
distant past, even if Paul does seem like an old friend to some of us.
Nevertheless, my take on this issue is that the language of Rom 4:19 and 1
Cor 15:45-48 suggests that Paul wanted his readers to think of Abraham and
Adam respectively as historically specific individuals. This is probably
because Paul himself thought this to be the case.
Regards,
John Dickson
Department of Ancient History
Macquarie University