corpus-paul - Re: slave names in Rom 16

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Carlton Winbery <winberyc AT speedgate.net>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: slave names in Rom 16
  • Date: Sun, 7 Nov 1999 13:30:01 -0600

> Reading through Jimmy Dunn's article on Romans in the Dictionary of
>Paul and His Letters, I came across the claim that at least fourteen of
>the twenty four names in chp. 16 are names of slaves. Now, this may be a
>Paul 101 question, but I am puzzled how Dun knows this to be the case. How
>it it determined that a particular name is a slave name? What are the
>criteria for saying what name came from what strata of society?

I have looked up 10 of the names in different dictionaries and found
nothing to indicate "slave" names. Some of the names have meanings like
ANDRONIKOS means "man of victory," etc. Surely, ANDRONIKOS is not a "slave"
name. I need to read Dunn's article I suppose.

I wonder if a name like TERTIOS, since it is basically an ordinal number
from the Latin, is more likely to be the name of a slave?

Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
Foggleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College
winbery AT speedgate.net