corpus-paul - Gal 3:22 & 24 ( the "confined state" => justification by faith)

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "moon-ryul jung" <moon AT saint.soongsil.ac.kr>
  • To: corpus-paul
  • Subject: Gal 3:22 & 24 ( the "confined state" => justification by faith)
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 1:33:20

Dear co-interpreters.

I am trying to reread Galatians from the "New Perspective". Now I
turn to Gal 3:22 - 24:

3:22 But the scripture consigned all things to sin, that what was promised
to faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe. 3:23 Now
before faith came, we were confined under the law, kept under restraint
until faith should be revealed. 3:24 So that the law was our custodian
until Christ came, that we might be justified by faith.

I wonder what is the causal relationship between
"consigning all things to sin " and
"the promise being given to those who believe"?, and
the causal relationship between "the law being our custodian" and
"being justified by faith"?

The traditional reformed interpretation would be as follows:

God gave the Law to Israel as representative of humankind,
in order to prove that they cannot
fulfill the Law by their own strength. When it was obvious that
they failed, Christ came so that they may be justified by faith.

Now the "unfulfillability" explanation is shown to be wrong from the
vewpoint of the "New Perspective", what would be appropriate
causal links between "the law being our custodian" and "being
justified by faith"?

Moon

Moon R. Jung
Associate Professor
Soongsil University
Seoul, Korea

jnt newiwhat would be ewould how would one

  • Gal 3:22 & 24 ( the "confined state" => justification by faith), moon-ryul jung, 10/31/1999