corpus-paul - Re: Help!

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Don Garlington <dgarlington AT ica.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Help!
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 18:15:02 -0400

Jim,

At the risk of blowing my own horn, have you seen the final chapter of my 'The
Obedience of Faith': A Pauline Phrase in Historical Context, WUNT 2/38;
Tübingen:
Mohr-Siebeck, 1991. It is not an exhaustive study of the passage, but it does
concentrate on the major predicates of Israel as applied by Paul to the Roman
church.

Yours,

Don

Jim Hester wrote:

> Listers!
>
> I am in the process of putting together an essay for a festschrift, the
> general topic of which is the rhetorical establishment of Paul's persona in
> Romans 1:1-7. Now, the scholarly literature on Romans is not something with
> which I am as familiar as I am in Galatians and Thessalonians, so I need
> some help.
>
> I have surveyed the journal literature for the past 20 years, finding a few
> things dealing with the passage in question, and am working my way through
> the commentaries, etc. But, to the point! Can anyone out there recommend a
> monograph in which the address of Romans, or the exordium, or whatever you
> want to call it, has been analyzed at some level or another? (Just a quick
> additional comment: I am also familiar with the literature on
> epistolography, but if you have seen something that you think might be
> useful, send it along as well.) Please send things off list; my request is
> so mundane that not many others would be interested in seeing
> recommendations filling their mailboxes!
>
> With much gratitude, I remain your faithful servant!
> Jim Hester "Never be afraid to try something new.
> 736 Buckingham Drive Remember, amateurs built the ark.
> Redlands, CA 92374 Professionals built the Titanic."
> (909) 792-0533
> hester AT uor.edu http://rhetjournal.uor.edu
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to corpus-paul as: dgarlington AT ica.net

  • Help!, Jim Hester, 10/30/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Help!, Don Garlington, 10/30/1999