corpus-paul - women/wives and submission

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Michael Abernathy" <mabernat AT cub.kcnet.org>
  • To: "corpuspaulus" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: women/wives and submission
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 05:17:47 -0700

I was just reading Elain Pagels "The Politics of Paradise: Augustine's Exegesis of Genesis 1-3 Versus That of John Chrysostom" in the Harvard Theological Review vol. 78 no 1-2 (1985) and it made me think of a couple of questions I would like some comment on.  Pagels comments that the early church (up to Augustine) interpreted the image of God in Genesis 1 to mean that God gave man (women included) the moral freedom to rule oneself.  In light of this interpretation and that woman's submission to man was pronounced after the fall (Ge. 3:16), is it likely that the women in Ephesus interpreted Paul's teachings that we constitute a new creation in such a way that they concluded that they no longer were subject to their husbands?  Would this relate to Eph. 5:21 and 1 Timothy 2:11-15?

Michael Abernathy
Lock Haven

  • women/wives and submission, Michael Abernathy, 10/28/1999