corpus-paul - Re: The Apostolate of James in Galatians

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Kevin Smith" <kgs AT iafrica.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The Apostolate of James in Galatians
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 14:52:29 +0200

Dear Nathan and other list members,

The Greek text of Galatians 1:18-19 reads:
EPEITA META ETH TRIA ANHLQON EIS hIEROSOLUMA hISTORHSAI KHFAN KAI EPEMEINA PROS AUTON hHMERAS DEKAPENTE , hETERON (other) DE (but) TWN (of the) APOSTOLWN (apostles) OUK (not) EIDON (I saw) EI MH (except) IAKWBON (James) TON (the) ADELFON (brother) TOU (of the) KURIOU (Lord).

Max Zerwick, *Biblical Greek Illustrated by Examples, §470 writes,
"ALLA <but (only)> was ti be expected rather than EI MH in Mk 6:5, Lk 4:25-27 (twice), Rom 14:14, Gal  1:7, 2:16, 1 Cor 7:17, Rev 21:27. Moveover, in Gal 1:19 <(apart from Peter> I saw no other apostle EI MH James the brother of the Lord>, the strict sense of EI MH implies that Paul  regards James as an apostle; but his conclusion cannot be drawn with certainty, because EI MH may be used instead of ALLA."

Thus the grammar itself does not conclusively prove that Paul regarded James as an apostle since there are two other places in Galatians where Paul used EI MH in the sense of "but." However, in the absense of contextual indicators to the contrary the most natural way to take EI MH is as "except" rather than "but." In Galatians 2:16 the context completely eliminates the possibility of taking EAN MH as "except"; since "except" makes perfect sense in Gal 1:19, it is the better translation, the meaning Paul's readers would most naturally ascribe to EI MH in the absence of contextual clues to the contrary.

Regards,
Kevin Smith
Port Elizabeth, SA